After thinking he bought himself a comeback win in Maine, Mitt Romney faces another possibility that he actually lost Maine as well. A Secret recount is in effect by the GOP, but they won’t release the results until 3 weeks from now… WTF?
Jason McClure of Reuters writes……..
Maine’s Republican Party will recount votes in the state’s Republican caucus following complaints that totals from some towns were not included in state results showing a 194-vote victory for Mitt Romney over Ron Paul.
In addition, Republicans in Maine’s sparsely populated Washington County will hold their caucus on Saturday after an earlier attempt was postponed by a snowstorm.
“We have worked diligently to contact town chairmen throughout Maine to reconfirm the results of their individual caucuses,” Charlie Webster, chairman of the state party, said in a statement.
Webster had been criticized for announcing Romney as the statewide winner on Saturday before votes from all the caucuses had been counted. Fewer than 6,000 people voted in the poll, which is a so-called “beauty contest” that does not bind national delegates to back a particular candidate at the Republican National Convention in August.
A reversal of the initial findings would be a setback for Romney, a former governor of nearby Massachusetts who has been struggling to keep a grip on his front-runner status for the nomination to face Democratic President Barack Obama in the November 6 general election.
It would be the second reversal of a state’s results in the Republican race. Romney was declared the initial winner in Iowa, which kicked off the nominating race, but the final count two weeks later revealed former U.S. Senator Rick Santorum actually had claimed a narrow victory.
- Maine GOP To Recount Caucus Votes (myfoxny.com)
- Maine GOP chair: Romney will maintain win (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Maine GOP Caucuses: Drama Continues (blogs.wsj.com)
- Maine to recount caucus votes after protests from Paul supporters (thehill.com)
- Maine GOP To Recount Caucus Votes (myfoxphoenix.com)
- Will Ron Paul win Maine caucuses after all? State GOP taking new tally. – Christian Science Monitor (csmonitor.com)
- Maine GOP recounting caucus votes (politico.com)
- Mitt Romney could be stripped of Maine win (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Caucuses, the Embarassing Step-Child of American Democracy (swampland.time.com)
- Will Newt Romney Kill The GOP? (treeofmamre.wordpress.com)