Don’t look now, but the ax-man cometh…. He’s coming for Your Parents and Grandparents in The form of tremendous Medicare cuts, and He’s coming for Your Children in the form of Social Services cuts and the complete defunding of Public Broadcasting System(Home of Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Frontline, and other educational programs). Between Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, it’s hard to tell exactly who is the biggest threat to America, but together, they undoubtedly spell DOOM.
Let’s take a lesson from our past….
In 1969, Fred Rogers appeared before the United States Senate Subcommittee on Communications. His goal was to support funding for PBS and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, in response to significant proposed cuts by President Nixon. Watch this video, and remember that there are some things far too important for us to lose as individuals and as a nation.
- Mr Rogers speaks: four hour video memoir of Fred Rogers (boingboing.net)
- ‘Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood’ Makes Appearance at PBS Press Tour (losangelesstory.blogspot.com)
- Public broadcasting funding under scrutiny (uloop.com)
- Animated Spin-Off Of ‘Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood’ Coming To PBS KIDS (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- Epic 9-Part Fred Rogers Interview on the Archive of American Television (laughingsquid.com)
- The Creator of Blue’s Clues Takes on Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood (blogher.com)
- Cutting PBS and the NEA won’t do it (maddowblog.msnbc.com)
- August 8 1974 Richard Nixon resigns as president (craighill.net)
- Chris C. Anderson: Hey Mitt: Don’t Mess With My PBS (huffingtonpost.com)
- Watergate Remembered: Watch PBS’s 1973 Special Report (pbs.org)